Today I am happy to announce the new clergy appointments effective from 8th September 2023, the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I would like to express great gratitude to the priests who are moving for all their hard work for the Lord in their current appointments and to thank them for agreeing to take on these new assignments. It is deeply moving to receive the humble obedience and joyful willingness of these priests. Moving from one appointment and then settling into another is about the hardest thing we do as diocesan priests. It is also a very great challenge for our deacons and for all our parishioners. So, thank you to you all. I pray earnestly that the Lord will grant us the strengthening and refreshing grace we need. Whilst the appointments become effective on 8th September, the exact changeover dates will vary depending on the schedules of both incoming and outgoing priests.
Please pray for the following.
- Fr. David Bateman, newly ordained, is appointed to St. Joseph and St. Edmund, Southampton as assistant priest.
- Fr. John Chadwick moves to Sacred Heart Hook as priest in charge and continues his chaplaincy work with the Traveller community.
- Canon Michael Dennehy returns from sabbatical and (from 1st November) becomes parish priest of St. Joseph and St. Edmund, Southampton.
- Fr. Ansel D’Mello moves to St. Margaret Mary, Park Gate as parish priest.
- Fr. Marcin Drabik is on sabbatical leave this coming year;
- Fr. Nishan Edward moves to St. Thomas’s Newport and St. Saviour’s Totland Bay as priest in charge.
- Fr. Anthony Glaysher to St. Thomas More, Twyford as priest in charge.
- Fr. Phillip Harris moves to Our Lady of Queen of Peace, Southbourne as priest in residence.
- Fr. Peter Hart moves to St. Mary’s Alton as parish priest.
- Fr. Innaiah Maddineni moves to St. Bernard’s and St. Michael’s Waterside as parish priest.
- Fr. Jude Mbonu moves to St. Joseph’s Tilehurst as priest in charge.
- Fr. Paul Obada moves to St. Joseph’s Christchurch and Holy Redeemer Highcliffe as parish priest.
- Fr. Paul Nwune moves to the Cathedral as assistant priest.
- Canon PJ Smith continues as Episcopal Vicar for Education but moves to St. Mary’s Ascot as School Chaplain.
- Fr. Robert Stewart moves to St. Joseph’s Aldershot as parish priest.
- Fr. Matthew Topham (Ordinariate) newly ordained becomes priest in charge of St. Mary’s, East Hendred.
- Fr. Johnpromise Umeozuru moves to Our Lady’s Fleet and The Holy Trinity, Church Crookham as parish priest.
- Fr. Stephen Vooght to South Wight as priest in charge.
- Fr. Andrew Wagstaff moves to St. Colman’s Cosham and St. Paul’s Paulsgrove as priest in charge.
Rev. Anthony Darlison will serve as deacon at St. Peter’s and the Winchester Martyrs and Brother Francisco Hintikka at Sacred Heart Bournemouth Oratory in Formation.
We welcome to the Diocese, two members of the Fraternity of St Charles Borromeo who will serve in St Swithun Wells parish: Fr. Mario Toma FSCP as assistant priest and Rev. Matteo Pagani FSCP as a deacon.
New Coordinating Pastors
Canon Michael Dennehy becomes Dean and Coordinating Pastor of Southampton (from 1st November). Fr. Elijah Fru becomes Coordinating Pastor of Southampton East. Fr. Anthony Ikhenoba becomes the Coordinating Pastor for Dorset. Fr. Steven Restori becomes Dean and Coordinating Pastor of the Isle of Wight.
We give many thanks to God for the dedicated ministry of the following priests who, having reached the canonical age, are retiring this autumn:
- Mgr. Vincent Harvey, parish priest of St. Joseph’s and St. Edmund’s Southampton.
- Mgr. Andrew Burnham (Ordinariate), parish priest of St. Mary’s East Hendred; and
- Fr. Joseph McNerney, parish priest of Newport and Totland Bay IoW.