Catholic Diocese of Portsmouth
The Diocese of Portsmouth covers Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, the Channel Isles and parts of Berkshire, Dorset and Oxfordshire
Year of Faith
What is the Year of Faith?
Pope Benedict has declared a Year of Faith which begins on 11th October 2012 and ends on 24th November 2013, the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Universal King. This event marks both the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council and the 20th anniversary of the publication of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which was prepared following the Council.
The Year of Faith is an opportunity for each one of us to reflect on and renew our enthusiasm for our faith so that we can profess it, share it with others, and lead people to Jesus Christ.
What is happening?
Copies of the diocesan Year of Faith booklet and prayer card have been sent to all parishes.
- Each parish has been sent a series of short newsletter items on the
Year of Faith.
- SummerTerm 2013
- Bishop Philip has written a Pastoral
Letter on the Year of Faith.
- Information and links will appear on this webpage, on Facebook and on Twitter.
Parish and Pastoral Area plans for the Year of Faith
- Rediscover Faith
- More conscious & vigorous adherence to the Gospels
- Arouse aspiration to profess the faith
- Intensify the celebration of the Faith (liturgy)
through activities and events in the areas of sacramental renewal, youth, social, adult formation, pilgrimage, welcome, witness, census, and communication
A series of Saturdays called ‘Exploring your Faith’. See www.geohouse.org.uk
Bournemouth Pastoral Area
- 19th September -24th October 2012 ‘Anchor Your Faith’ – 6 sessions on the fundamental Truths of the Catholic Faith
- 11th October 2012 Young People’s Prayer Vigil (St Edmund Campion, Castlepoint)
- 12th October 2012 Rosary and Benediction for World Peace and the success of the Year of Faith (Annunciation, Charminster)
- 14th October 2012 Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction (Our Lady Immaculate, Westbourne)
- 1st December 2012 Study Day, ‘Jesus, Fully Human, Fully Divine’, St. Thomas Garnet’s School
- 30th January-6th March 2013 Lunchtime Lecture Series: ‘The Development of the Catholic Faith through the Ages’, Sacred Heart Church
- 5th May 2013 Procession in Honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Sacred Heart Church
- 2nd June 2013 Blessed Sacrament Procession and Benediction, Corpus Christi Church
- 13th July 2013 Pilgrimage to the shrine of St Philip Howard at Arundel
Fleet and Church Crookham Parish
- Sewing the Apostles’ Creed: all parishioners were invited to take part in sewing the Creed during the weekend of 14th to 16th September 2012. Whilst sewing each individual letter of the Creed everyone was asked to say a prayer. The Creed will be put up in Our Lady’s Church.
- Aggiornamento Frieze: will be put up in Holy Trinity Church
- Celebration of Vatican II in music 3rd November 2012
- Purple Passion Holy Week 2013
- Flower Festival on the theme of the Seven Sacraments 17th-19th May 2013
Havant Pastoral Area
- Pilgrimage to the Seven Churches – on various Sundays during the Year of Faith, people are invited to go on pilgrimage to seven Churches in the Havant Pastoral Area, reflecting on passages from the Book of Revelation. Pilgrims will be given a Pilgrim’s Passport which will be stamped on each occasion. Each Church will also provide a prayerful reflection of its own choice. Programmeand Pilgrimage Passport
- Pastoral Area Refresher Day on 3rd November 2012 for members of Pastoral Councils and catechists
- Pastoral Area Mission starting 23rd November 2013, led by the Sion community
Isle of Wight
A local artist, Maria Hall, got all parishes together – some 120 people - to pray and paint an icon of the Vladimir’s Mother of Tenderness. Each person first prayed and picked a numbered pre-traced square they felt drawn to, then trying to fill it with colours as they saw on the original icon in front of them.
Afterwards all pieces came together and the icon was blessed. Now the assembled icon goes round the IoW on a pilgrimage.
- ‘Communicating Christ’ course for catechists led by Department for Pastoral Formation
- October 2012 pilgrimage
- Launch of a new look parish newsletter using Year of Faith logos
- Banners outside each church advertising the Year of Faith – and vertical banners displayed on the pillars inside St Thomas’
- January-July 2013 ‘Catholicism’ study programme (DVDs by Robert Barron) with facilitated discussions to be held at Catholic Pastoral Services.
- Continuation of Faith talks held at Catholic Pastoral Services
- Displays in all churches, at Catholic Pastoral Services and the Welcome Centre about the Year of Faith.
- Jersey Mission September 2013 facilitated by members of the Sion Community, culminating in an all-Island Mass on October 6th.
- Information and events programme
- Programme for year and Day of Prayer 24th November
- A Day Conference 'Called to be Catholic' 17th November - programme
St Swithun Wells
We are using the Year of Faith as a springboard for a 3-year approach to renewal and outreach, with the strapline:"renewing our relationship with Jesus; sharing and finding faith with others"
For more information, please visit the Year of Faith section of our website.
The Year of Faith is explored in two Vatican documents:
- Porta Fidei (‘The Door of Faith’)
- Note with Pastoral Recommendations for the Year of Faith
- Bishops’ Conference website