Catholic Diocese of Portsmouth
The Diocese of Portsmouth covers Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, the Channel Isles and parts of Berkshire, Dorset and Oxfordshire
Foundation governors are in the majority on our Catholic school governing bodies. They are appointed directly by the Bishop and represent him in particular:
- in ensuring that the religious education curriculum is in accordance with the Bishops’ Conference Curriculum Directory
- in ensuring that the religious worship is in accordance with the rites of the Catholic Church
- in the admission of pupils
- in the appointment of staff
- in ensuring that the whole curriculum is delivered in the light of Gospel values and actively promotes the spiritual and moral development of the pupils
- in taking account of the interests of other Catholic schools and the needs of the Catholic community as a whole.
The work of foundation governors plays a significant part in maintaining and developing the distinctively Catholic nature of our schools and in building up the community of Catholic schools across the diocese.
The Department for Schools manages the process for the appointment of foundation governors, provides support to governing bodies in carrying out their statutory responsibilities and their responsibilities to the Bishop and promotes the development of governors through regular newsletters, briefings and training courses.